TREDS collaborates with organizations to offer programs that promote driving safety for the community, with a special focus on older drivers. Technical assistance is available in program planning, delivery and evaluation. In addition, TREDS assists drivers and their family members with referrals to community resources to evaluate driving fitness and prolong mobility.
The County of San Diego, Aging and Independence Services hosts an annual Aging Summit to demonstrate their support of older San Diegans.
The TREDS program coordinated a driving safety workshop which addressed the following topics:
• Impact of Health and Aging on Driving, by Linda Hill, MD, MPH, UC San Diego School of Medicine
• Know Your Limits and Roadway Safety, by Officer James Bettencourt, California Highway Patrol
• Resources to Promote Safe Driving, by Judi Bonilla, Advocates for Aging
Click on the flyer for a list of community resources:
Click on the PDF (below) for a comprehensive Referral Guide of San Diego, state, and national resources:
In recognition of Older Americans Month, the TREDS Program and the Caregiver Coalition of San Diego hosted a seminar “Aging and Driving: What You Need to Know”.
The free event was open to the public and the agenda addressed these topics:
• How Aging Impacts Driving: Medical conditions and the role of physicians
• We Need to Talk: How to communicate about driving
• Role of the Driving Rehab Specialist (CDRS): Driver assessment, retraining and adaptive equipment
• CA DMV Senior Ombudsman Program: Assistance for the older driver and the re-examination process
• Transportation Alternatives in San Diego County
The audience of 75 was comprised of older drivers, family members and caregivers; over 20 agencies exhibited educational materials. The program was supported by a grant from the UC San Diego Academic Geriatric Resource Center (AGRC).
|Richard Kohr (DMV) and Jill Rybar (UCSD) collaborate to promote driver safety on October 29, 2011 in San Diego, CA.||Dr. Linda Hill (UCSD), Richard Kohr (DMV), and LAPD Officer on the expert panel at the Automobile Club of Southern CA, Senior Driving Expo, April 2, 2011.|